• For puppy classes, you need proof of at least two distemper/parvovirus vaccinations.
• For all dogs over 4 months of age, proof of a current rabies vaccination is required.
• While not required, it is strongly encouraged that your dog be up to date on their Bordetella (kennel cough) vaccination. Typically dogs need to be revaccinated every 6 months for Bordetella.
· Dogs will NOT be able to participate in class without proper vaccination records. There are NO exceptions to this rule.
• If you miss a class please contact the instructor to discuss what was covered. Students must attend the first session in order to continue with the class. Registration fees will not be refunded for students who miss the first class.
• In order to protect all participants in a class, we reserve the right to decline entry to any dog that presents behavior issues that may be dangerous, disruptive, or exacerbated by participation in a group class. If behavior issues are discovered during the class and the instructor determines that it is in everyone’s best interest for you to seek a private trainer, you will be provided with a qualified trainer referral and a refund.
• Handlers must be at least 14 years of age.
• Please understand that there must be a minimum of 2 clients in class or else class will be rescheduled.
• Handlers younger than 18-years-old must be accompanied by an adult.
• Children must be at least 5-years-old to attend the class. Please contact us immediately for alternative options.
• Parents must supervise their children during the entire class.
• Dogs are NOT allowed to greet or interact before, during, or after class unless you are instructed to do some by your trainer.
· No firearms or alcoholic beverages are permitted in the building.
· As a general rule, if the City of Virginia Beach is closed due to inclement weather, Happy Paws will also be closed.
- You are required to bring your dogs vaccination records to class. Dogs will NOT be able to participate in class without proper vaccination records.
- There are NO exceptions to this rule.
- To expedite the process you may have your vaccinations faxed to us at (757)965-4062 or you may upload your vaccinations to your account profile by following this link and logging into your account: https://clients.mindbodyonline.com/classic/ws?studioid=216525&stype=-2&subTab=files
What to bring to class:
• A baggy full of your dogs top 3 favorite treats, cut into pieces the size of half an M&M. It is optional but highly recommended that you bring a treat bag that attaches to your belt or waistband. Treat bags are available at most pet supply stores.
• A regular flat collar, a Martingale collar, harness, or a head collar (Halti, Gentle Leader, etc).
• A regular 4 or 6 foot nylon, leather, or webbed leash. NO FLEXIS OR RETRACTABLE LEASHES PLEASE.
• A mat or dog bed. This can be a bath mat, towel, blanket, or any dog bed.
What To Do When You Get To Class:
- We will greet you at the door and escort you in to your seat.
- Have your treats ready and begin giving treats to your dog to get him/her focused on you. Keep his/her leash short—he/she shouldn’t be meeting any dog friends.
- The first agenda is to get him/her used to the idea of focusing on you despite all the distractions.